Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day one

We planned an easy run for our first day on the road. We drove a leisurely course up Highway 17 from Briarcliffe RV Resort in Myrtle Beach South Carolina to the Croatan National Forest just outside Swansboro NC. The only glitch in the plan was finding the campground once we got to the Crystal Coast. The Croatan NF is huge and runs from the coast all the way to New Bern; I had seen CNF signs on previous trips past here and assumed there would be sign posted for the campground which is part of the CNF. Armed with this false confidence I never wrote down the directions and of course forgot what I had read when I made the reservations.
To my credit I did the unmanly thing and stopped to ask for directions, unfortunately, I asked another man. He apparently didn’t have a clue, but wasn’t going to admit it and I followed his directions deep into the forest....in the wrong direction. Once again stifling my manhood I stopped for directions at the first business I came too. It was a small cross roads gas station/convenience store in the middle of nowhere. I shouldn’t have been surprised but there he was, direct from Pakistan or one of those places over there. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, we are the melting pot of the world, but can someone explain to me just how the hell did Abdul from half way around the world find this little place in the middle of the Croatan National Forest in North Carolina. It’s just beyond my comprehension!
Anyhow Abdul was a nice guy, got in his car and showed us the way to the campground. It’s a small place 39 sites but very nice, neat well maintained, we like it a lot. We chilled out a bit, and laughed at the stories told by the camp host who came by to check on us. After dinner we took the dogs for a walk on the nature trail and completed the loop just before dusk and the inevitable mosquitoes, as we are bordering a salt marsh.




No comments:

Post a Comment