Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse

July 18 2012

Today went as planned; we dropped Dixie and Maggie off at the groomer and then drove to Mount Rushmore. Even though I had been here before, it is still an awesome thing to see. After viewing the monument from the overview and the walkway to the mountain’s base, we watched the short film about how it was carved and toured the exhibition hall which held many of the tools and equipment that was used on the mountain.

Next it was off to the Crazy Horse monument about 15 miles from Rushmore. This project has been going on almost since Rushmore was completed. The story is very interesting; it’s worth googling next time your sitting in front of the screen thinking you’ve reached the end of the internet!

I was here in 2006 and to be honest it doesn’t look much different to me, they still have a long way to go. I will post a picture from 2006 and 2012 so you can judge for yourself.
Most of the carving is done with explosives; we got there just in time to witness a blast on the side of the mountain. I got that on video and will try to post it on the blog site under “our Movies”.

An interesting thing happened to me while I was waiting for Millie in the gift shop. I heard a familiar voice from the past; I turned around and traced it to a figure with his back to me. I walked up and put my hand on the shoulder of an electrician from Chrysler. When I retired in 2004 George Walls was the 2nd shift zone operator in assembly department, he worked at the plant until Chrysler closed it in 2010. He and his wife are also in a motorhome; they’re just left Delaware last week and are heading west. Small world!

Tomorrow we go meandering thru the back roads of South Dakota as we work our way to Oshkosh for Air venture. We have no destination goal for the day; we’ll just go where the open road takes us.

PS: Everybody looks and feels cool after our haircuts.









No comments:

Post a Comment