Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Getty Center

June 13 2012

The Getty Center was our destination today; there are actually two Getty museums. The Getty Center is the newer and sits on top of a mountain. The original is the Getty Villa and was J Paul Getty’s home. Planning and construction of the Getty Center took thirteen years and cost 1.3 billion dollars. The buildings and grounds are works of art in themselves. It’s obvious they put a lot of thought into the design.

I like art, but I have my own biased opinion of what constitutes fine art. Basically I think art should imitate life, the more precisely it represents real objects the finer it is. I have a few exceptions to this; Impressionist paintings are sometimes nice to look at. Anyhow they have a Rembrandt portrait of an old man that is so realistic you’d think it could talk, it’s really fine art.

Tomorrow we have reservations for a bus tour in and around the city. The Kings Hockey team won the Stanley Cup the other day and I saw on the news tonight the city is having a victory parade tomorrow. I don’t know how that will affect the tour, but I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment