Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Pacific Coast highway

June 18 2012

To all who may have noticed that we have been beyond the radar the last few days, we’re not hiding from anybody. The Sierra Nevada Mountains is an electronic no mans land, we had no cell, broadband internet or over the air TV. I had written for the blog but didn’t post it until late the following day. On the ride across the state, I had my phone on charge as it appeared dead when I tried to call my father on the Hallmark day. I thought something was seriously wrong with it as every time I checked, it was dead. This morning I was fooling with it and found it was turned off. All the time I’ve had it I never turned it off, I must have pocket punched the wrong button, it has button’s that I don’t know what they do yet. And I’ve been thinking I need to be connected to the web with one of those smart phones, but I haven’t mastered the dumb one.

Anyhow as I said in the last post we spent last night at the Pacific Ocean. This morning we started the drive up the Pacific Coast highway. At first we were a little disappointed as it was foggy and we couldn’t see down the mountain side to the shore. After about twenty or so miles it started to clear and we were treated to some spectacular scenery. The closer we got to Big Sur Park and Monterey the nicer the beaches became although none looked easy to get to, as we were several hundred feet above them on highway 1.

Being in such a remote area between ocean and the soaring mountains we had no cell service today either. Millie is on T Mobile and I have Verizon and neither had coverage. I was thinking if I did hear anyone it would probably be a lost Japanese fighter pilot looking for Pearl Harbor!

When we got past the 100 miles of remote road, we drove through Monterey. From our brief tour it appears to be an affluent trendy town. However, the Cannery Row of John Steinbeck fame is now probably twenty or thirty blocks of tourist related shops. There are no fishermen at fisherman’s wharf, just more tourist stuff, rich people’s yachts, and eighteen dollar parking. We didn’t even stop, the drive thru was enough for us. It’s all very nice; we’re just becoming immune to tourist traps.

Tonight we are staying in another Thousand Trails campground; it is called San Benita and is west of Monterey. 1000 Trails is a timeshare camping company that I have a membership with. I mostly use it to stay in Florida for the winter but we’ve been using it whenever convenient on this trip, it’s saving us lots of camping fees, we pay nothing whenever we stay in the TT system.















No comments:

Post a Comment