Sunday, November 16, 2014

Work day

May 30 2012

I worked today on Dave and RaeAnne’s house. The master bath only had recessed lighting in the ceiling, no vanity or makeup lighting. I installed a light fixture over the mirror on RaeAnne’s side of the room. Sorry Dave, you’re still brushing your teeth in the dark.

The trick was to do the upgrade without turning it into a drywall and paint project. I thought I was going to do the job without putting any holes in the wall, however where I thought would be two studs, there were four. I had to cut one small hole in the closet wall, I used my new vibrating cutter and was able to use spackling to glue the drywall plug back in. BTW the vibrating cutter worked great for cutting out the single switch box which was replaced with a two gang box to facilitate the new switch for the lights. The old way of doing this was to break the box apart using lineman’s pliers and diagonal cutters. You had to be very careful as to not damage the drywall surrounding the box.
For those of you who don't know me, I am a retired electrician and I am glad I was able to do something for my hosts; who have welcomed me, and my dog, and my motorhome at their home.

I piddled around on a few other little repairs around their home after lunch, Millie and I had left over Mexican food for dinner and we took the dogs for a nice walk in the National forest adjacent to their home. Life is good here in New Mexico.


No comments:

Post a Comment