Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Spreading the wealth

April 29 2012

One of the considerations for a road trip that will be +/- 7000 miles long and last for several months is cost. Millie and I have an account funded for the trip and are prepared to go with my travel motto “If you wanna play, you gotta pay!”

However, (and this is my soapbox speech of the day) I think it’s sad that most of our budget is going to be spent on fuel. And a lot of that will probably be to foreign owned conglomerates. To stay within budget we will be cooking and eating in most of the time, staying in lower costing state or federal campgrounds, and trying to stay in public campgrounds that offer a discount or membership campgrounds that I am affiliated with.

I would be much happier if we could be spreading the wealth with local businesses along the way rather than making some fat cat oil baron a little richer.

PS: the trip totaled over 10,000 miles and fuel was indeed the major expense, costing us almost $6000.

No comments:

Post a Comment